Thursday, August 25, 2005

Rest During Escape to Egypt by Michelangelo Caravaggio

Caravaggio (1571 - 1610) has created some of the most poetically stark pieces. I didn't like his work en masse when I was younger be-cause I had only seen pieces that were popular to the modern art-heads and their version of "Art" is a really decadant piece or a very bare canvas. But some of his art really is very beautiful, but also incredibly unsettling. Absolutely none of his art is fluid nor easy to digest. The one posted above is probably the most tame and conformed Caravaggio ever was.

He Qi, a Chinese artist, created this piece, which mimicks "Rest During the Flight into Egypt" in a playful way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sydney said...

Beautiful piece and a nice copy. I LOVE art. I wish I had more good art at home. I buy nice pieces here and there as I have money and as I find them. A lot of what I have the money for tends to be old Danish art. But some of it is very nice.

My headache is a little better. Sometimes I think we just have more time for headaches in the US. Or that they have headaches elsewhere, there's just nowhere to get to get it treated and nobody to report it to.

8/26/2005 7:00 AM  
Blogger Cade said...

Good point, Sydney. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Oh, Danish art can be so beautiful. I prefer Danish furniture, but some of the art is incredibly beautiful because it's so unrefined.

Thanks for commenting. :)

8/26/2005 3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Michelangelo is one of my favorite artists. I loved "David" and my favorite is the "Pieta". I was fortunate to see the "Pieta" while it was on display in the US some years ago and it was breathtaking. His religious paintings are of such great quality for his time. He was truly a great artist.

8/27/2005 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home